A Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment Program for Overcoming Alcohol Problems PDF – Therapist Guide
Problems with alcohol use are common and often occur with other psychological and social problems as well. Left untreated, alcohol use disorder can have significant impact on a person’s functioning, health, and relationships. This cognitive-behavioral treatment has been scientifically proven to help individuals achieve and maintain abstinence. The treatment protocol has been developed with the benefit of each author’s 25+ years of clinical experience in treating substance abusers; it is user-friendly and easy to deliver in a clinically meaningful way. Rooted in the client’s individualized assessment and life context, the program can be tailored to gender-specific issues and personal needs.
The 12-session program is comprised of interventions to help the client stop drinking and prevent relapse. The client becomes aware of his or her drinking patterns and triggers through self-recording. Each session involves skill training and anticipating high-risk situations. The client learns how to manage triggers, deal with urges to drink, rearrange behavioral consequences, challenge alcohol-related thoughts and refuse drinks. Additional treatment components include managing anxiety and depression, building social support, assertiveness training, anger management, and problem solving.
This therapist guide provides detailed instructions for conducting each session, sample dialogues, and completed examples of forms. Introductory chapters offer important background information, a discussion of clinical issues, and recommendations for assessment and determining the level of care. The corresponding workbook allows the client to follow along with the information prsented in session and includes forms for homework. Overcoming alcohol problems is an attainable goal with this effective and comprehensive program.
TreatmentsThatWorkTM represents the gold standard of behavioral healthcare interventions!
· All programs have been rigorously tested in clinical trials and are backed by years of research
· A prestigious scientific advisory board, led by series Editor-In-Chief David H. Barlow, reviews and evaluates each intervention to ensure that it meets the highest standard of evidence so you can be confident that you are using the most effective treatment available to date
· Our books are reliable and effective and make it easy for you to provide your clients with the best care available
· Our corresponding workbooks contain psychoeducational information, forms and worksheets, and homework assignments to keep clients engaged and motivated
· A companion website (www.oup.com/us/ttw) offers downloadable clinical tools and helpful resources
· Continuing Education (CE) Credits are now available on select titles in collaboration with PsychoEducational Resources, Inc. (PER)